I was recently asked by a prominent UK-based high street retailer to conceptualise and design an App based upselling mechanic for wedding cakes, looking for an effective solution to drive sales to a more premium product.
My Initial Thoughts:
Thought process and working methodology
My Competitor SWOT Analysis (web products)
What advantages / disadvantages over others. What opportunities to exploit or could cause trouble?
SWOT Competitor review summary
- The majority of competitors had a social aspect at product detail level and they add value via nutritional info, but there were no sales promotion, no bundles and no clear CTA to upgrade across nearly all competition. Sponsored products was a clear mechanic used extensively to cross sell but overall it was evident there is an opportunity here that competitor have not taken advantage off.
How to drive sales to a more premium product?
01. Sales Promotions at product level
Other sales promotion idea
Offers for you
- Spend £250 and you get £20 off your next purchase
- FREE Sample when you spend £225 o more
- Today ONLY £269 Normally £199
Other concept Add Ons
- Personal shopper
- Club Membership
+ Ready-to-wear clothing
03. Personalise your cake at product detail level
Create your own – My preferred route
Suggested ‘swipe-though’ sections
Start | Servings | Setup | Shape | Design | Icing | Filings
Added value through innovation (AR)
Following research and a primarily UX stage, it is clear that the three drivers for upsell within the specialist the wedding cake eco-system would be;
- Sales Promotion Add Ons
- Premium Bundles
It was great fun working through this process, and my key take-outs where that sales promotional material like “Add-ons”and” Bundles” although effective, with touch and mobile products it was the ability to customise and personalise the shopper journey that had the potential to be a real game changer here. Both in-store and in-your-living room personalising what is already a personal experience, i.e. your marriage, with what is arguable your most personal product, your mobile is clearly the way forward.
Get in touch
This is but part of a selection of design articles Russell Webb Design generated for the creative community out there. Please contact us further to discuss if your brand really wants to benefit from this new immersive experience here: email@example.com
If something has peaked your interest. Please leave a comment below.