Creative Lead | Head of / Lead UX
Based in central London
I am a creative lead specialising in UX with an expertise in branding and retail, mobile and print. I have over fifteen years’ design and managerial experience in delivering the user-centric design process to stakeholders and clients alike, developing new business pitches and have implemented online concepts across many industries including financial, home entertainment, telecoms, FMCG, gaming and retail.
09/17- present time: EPAM System, Inc
Principal UX Designer – Consultant at Schroders PLC (Asset Management)
Within the Digital Engagement team, drive an education piece on users and their needs then map key personas journeys that will inform a new IA for Schroders.com. With over £416BN under management and over 4,100 people worldwide this type of service design needed to be both insightful and world-class to align with the company’s standards.
Job title: Lead UX / UI Designer – Contractor
Pushing UX innovation and engagement to both attract and retain players for a digital lottery provider who have been partnering with state lotteries and charitable organisations in order to build their digital channels
04/12-10/16: Sportingbet / GVC / bwin
Job title: Lead UX / UI Designer (Team: 3)
I am the UX/UI design lead at one of the worlds leading online betting and gaming companies, a FTSE Top 250 company with estimated value fof £1.8 Billion, this involves wearing two hats; one as an industry expert with the visual design authority to put a personal stamp on the creative direction of 14 different territories, the other as a hands-on key influencer to business at the bleeding edge of some exciting new design technologies.
This ability to balance priorities and business / design trade-offs and to lead thinking up to executive and senior management levels involves a wealth of mobile products and services and includes the strategic visual design direction of mobile, tablet and web applications.
- Recognised visual expert driving brand awareness,
- Creating all digital interfaces across all touch-points including significant future services, products and propositions.
- Invent, improve and continuously maintain UX visual standards, best practice, UX visual guidelines and standards across the group (and beyond.)
With extensive visual design experience and sharpened communication skills in visual, verbal, written and formal presentations my role essentially involves putting the user and their needs ahead of features and technology.
04/11-03/12: Steely Eye Digital Media / Loky.me
Job title: Creative Director (Team: 4)
- Driving home creative principles of a new start-ups in London’s Victoria and Regents Street
- Developing app and mobile web solutions, marketing concepts and customer experiences
- Designing for iPhone, Android, Blackberry and Nokia for clients across the spectrum
03/10-03/11: MIG (Mobile Interactive Group)
Job title: Creative lead
- Mobile web and App experiences for the leading UK loan provider (think Waterslide) across iPhone and Android
- Consumer experience and App concept generation for M&S, New Look, Rimmel and many more
- Due to their confidential nature please contact me at russell[at]russellwebbdesign[dot]co[dot]uk to discuss current mobile project experience
01/09-02/10: Freelance Creative Lead
Job title: Senior Creative
- Online interface design with new logo and brand ID for high end A/V specialist
- Flash seasonal campaign for London theatre group from customer journey to digital delivery
- Brand ID, logo refresh, wireframe and new online presence for Parisian IT supplier APS
- Develop brand ID, website concepts and graphic stationary for VC SME’s
- Implemented design principles and raise standards for a small studio in east London
02/08-12/08: Coutts Creative – part of the Bezier Group
The largest retail marketing design agency in the UK
Job title: 2D Retail Group Head (Team: 6-8)
- Instrumental in three successful pitches generating £1.8M in client spend
- Creative lead on the largest brand launch of 2009: The Health Lottery
- Senior creative developing campaign driven sub brands for Disney’s DVD on TV
- Lead creative for retail orientated campaigns for Superdrug, Asda, Sainsbury and Warner Bros
11/07-02/08: Freelance Brand Designer
Design and consultation for service and town planning company – Activ Parking, the largest parking service company in eastern Europe.
Job title: Senior Design Consultant
Contracted brand and design consultant for Czech industry-leader in parking solutions (Activ Parking) and logistics and transport (D&Comm).
- Developed a strategic direction to raise awareness for future financial backers and partners.
Freelance designer for design consultancy Brand Instinct.
- Developed brand ID directions for Al Wasl, a US$12 billion urban community in Riyadh, Saudi.
10/05-10/07: Allen International
A Top 50 international design consultancy specialising in financial branding.
Job title: Senior Designer – Branding (contracted)
Brand designer for international financial clients.
- Designed a flexible graphics interior grid, kit-of-parts brand ID and communications for several European and Eastern-European banks, including literature, signage and eventual guidelines.
- Lead brand designer on petroleum and financial clients looking to improve their retail offer through environmental segmentation and modern, contemporary graphics.
03/04-04/05: Gardner Stewart Architects / Tibbalds Planning & Urban Design
One of the UK’s leading architecture and master planning practices.
Job title: Head of Graphics
Lead graphics creative for a 50+ architecture and planning practice in London Bridge
- Department head and Brand Guardian – managed the two companies’ brand direction.
A Corbis owned top five image library with over 20,000 images available in 40 countries.
Job title: Senior Designer (promoted from retoucher upwards)
Responsible for the complete brand awareness of the image library ‘image100’ in Soho.
Redesigned corporate ID including letterheads, business cards, logo, online presence, etc.
07/98-10/98: Colin Hunt Design / Queensbury Hunt Levien / Tangerine
Job title: Freelance Graphic/Product Designer
- Graphic design – corporate concept generation and illustrational mock-ups.
- Software tutorials – staff education on the benefits of new technology, especially Photoshop.
- Product design and model making for a major blue-chip far eastern client.
09/91-07/94: Ravensbourne College of Design and Communication
2:1 3D design – BA Hons
09/90-07/91: Bournville Art College
Distinction in foundation studies
09/85-07/90: Haybridge High School
2 (A) levels and 10 GCSE including Maths and English
Creative Suite – instructor level
- InDesign / Photoshop / Illustrator / Acrobat
- (Knowledge of) HTML and CSS
Low and High fidelity prototype software
- Sketch App
- Omnigraffle Pro
Travel – Around-the-world tour including SE Asia, Australia, South Pacific and North America
Other – Furniture / interior design, 5-a-side football. Intermediate / Advanced French
Referees are available upon request.
Tags: Creative Direction, User Experience Design, UX, Branding & Identity, Service, Design, Experience Mapping, Customer Journeys, Graphic Design, Mobile Devices, User Interface, Logo Design, Corporate Identity, Marketing, Illustration, Customer Experience, Android UI, Illustrator, Sketch App, User Interface, Adobe, Brand Development,
A snapshot of my skill-set